Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cafe Lou Lou


Back in my mid-twenties, I often found myself heading out for drinks and dinner in the Clifton Area of Louisville. My "Bicardi and Diet"-loving roomies introduced me to a cozy little spot called Cafe Lou Lou. The atmosphere had me under it's spell immediately with funky Pop Art, bold colored walls, and a wait staff that were hip in a non-pretentious way. These were the days when I went to dinner for the drinks and the gossip. Great food was just an added bonus - a far cry from my current foodie state. I was a little baffled by the menu selections that feature Italian-Mediterranean-NOLA style cuisine. However, I fell in love with the first thing I ordered here. Simply, the Grilled Chicken Roll, which includes fresh greenes and tomatoes, pesto aioli, roasted red peppers, and feta cheese, all wrapped in lovely lavish bread. I would kill for it! With a choice of spicy Cajun Crisps (fries), Mediterranean pasta salad, or sauteed veggies, this roll has and will always be my Lou Lou favorite. My roomies had their order down to a science - Hummus appetizer, split the Four Cheese Calzone with a side Caesar Salad and keep the Bicardi and Diets coming...

Our hearts were shattered when we heard the news that Cafe Lou Lou was moving to the St. Matthews area. While I dearly adore this part of town, I was scared that Lou Lou would change it's ways in order to cater to a BMW driving crowd. Fortunately this has not been the case at all. My beloved Lou Lou remained much the same. In fact the decor, menu, and wait staff didn't change at all! When it first opended, the old roomies and I headed to new Lou Lou on a few Wednesdays for half-priced wine bottles. About a year later we moved to the Highlands and were elated to learn that a second location was opening. And even better...they deliver!! God knows how many Chicken Rolls were delivered to that address.



Over the past few years, I have sampled a handful of other menu options. You can't go wrong with any of their specialty Gourmet Pizzas such as Smoked Salmon, Buffalo Chicken, Mediterranean, and Hot Brown. There is also a "Build your Own" pizza option, several other types of Rolls, Sandwhiches, Pastas, Soups, and Salads. The prices are so reasonable that the dinner menu almost seems like lunch prices. I am not familiar with their beer menu but have heard it's good, offering a handful of options from BBC - a great local brewery, and some other micro-brews nearby. I might have to check out the beer next time I go, along with the  Black Bean Lasagna or perhaps the Jambalaya, both are known to be convicted killers. What can I say? I like to live dangerously. Until next time, Live to eat Cafe Lou Lou!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment