Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Return of the Platter

 
It's been several months since I've posted, but that doesn't mean I've been slacking in the platter research department. I've enjoyed countless tasty treats over the past seven months and have even joined a friend's offical foodie group on Facebook. That's right, I'm no longer a wannabe foodie, I'm legit now. It's just too bad I haven't been able to afford any of the real foodie dinners so far... but I plan to, eventually. Now please allow me to highlight some unofficial savory snapshots, picking up where I left off---summer of '12. Ah, how I miss the summer heat!!!

 
I'll take one heart attack on a plate please

For my family birthday brunch, I enjoyed a fantastic Hot Brown at Ditto's Grill. Let's be honest, a hot brown is rarely done wrong. Often called "a heart attack on a plate" due to the absurd amount of fat and calories, this sinfully deccadent dish includes an open-faced broiled turkey sandwich with bacon,  mornay sauce (a creamy parmesan cheese sauce) and / or other cheeses, and is often topped with tomatoes. Dittos Grill is the Holladay family's "go-to" spot in the Louisville Highlands neighborhood. When I'm not gorging on a birthday Hot Brown, I will usually go for one of the following entrees: Thai Salmon, Chinese Burrito, Citrus Atlantic Cod.


Late summer called for a lovely lunch with friends. We ventured to a Vietnamese spot called Pho Binh Minh. Small and simple, this very casual and affordable restaurant is located on Strawberry Lane in Louisville and is best known for the Vietnamese Sandwich. I enjoyed my entree - a platter with rice noodles, veggies, and beef, drenched in a nice gravy sauce. Although I must say, the highlight of my lunch was the Thai Tea. It was super sweet and creamy yet strangely thirst-quenching. I'm also raving about the Thai coffee, which mi hermano ordered. In fact, he liked the coffee so much that he attempted to re-create it at home, buying beans from the Vietnamese store nearby.

Next up, I'd like to feature a Louisville beer lounge and eatery called Four Pegs. A great friend invited me out to this Germantown pub to celebrate her b-day. I loved loved the selection of craft beer, going immediately for the Old Rasputin, Imperial Stout (almost 12% ABV, oh yeah!). Even though I wasn't too hungry this night and was planning to drink my dinner, I couldn't resist the urge to feast on some grub, so I took a tip from a pal and ordered the Fried Green Tomatoes. While they were just a wee bit salty for my taste, the superb spicy sauce that was served alongside, put a permanent smile on this face :))

 
my partially eaten FGT platter  


Seeing the cheap prices ($5-8 for most menu items), I didn't stop here. The Creme Brulee was another must-try that did not disappoint. My experience with the wait staff, not to mention the hip yet inviting atmosphere, was enough earn a strong Holladay Platter recommendation. I can't wait to try an entree on my next visit.

Brulee and Blueberries - Yum 


 
A Kashmir Platter

Just last month Micheal and I enjoyed a hot Indian dinner at Kashmir on Bardstown Road. While my affinity toward Indian food is present throughout the year, the cooler weather calls out for this flavorful and spicy cuisine to light my fire. I ordered one of my fav Indian dishes, the Vindaoo --- a blend of red chilis, cumin, ginger, mustard seeds, and other goodies. The rich and comforting sauce absolutely nailed my palate with the perfect blend of spices. However, I didn't care for the lamb. It was waaay too fatty and I totally regretted not going with my standard choice of chicken. Michael enjoyed his Veggie Tikka Masala entree with cheese. I too enjoyed a few bites, enjoying the mild yet zesty spices (coriander, paprika, and tumeric perhaps...) blended with tomato puree and coconut cream to create a tangy and tasty meal. We combined our delightful dishes with garlic and cheese naan bread (-a must-do with any Indian platter).

With affordable prices, good service, and a cozy atmosphere, I always look forward to dining at Kashmir. The front patio is a prime place to be in the warmer months, sitting on the vibrant and bustling Bardstown Road.

That's all for now, but stay tuned in the coming weeks I'll reveal a few dining escapades from my trip to Italia, as well as a scrumptious brunch and a ladies night out platter. Until then.... Live to Eat!!



No comments:

Post a Comment